- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 to 5 chopped jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 8 cups chopped peeled tomatoes, drained (about 5 pounds medium tomatoes)
- In a stockpot, combine the first 12 ingredients. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, vegetables are tender, about 20 min.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor’s Note: The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
1/4 cup: 24 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.